[A2k] CIS statement on broadcasting

Anubha Sinha anubha at cis-india.org
Mon May 28 04:39:42 PDT 2018

WIPO STANDING COMMITTEE ON COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS

36th Session: Geneva, 28 May -1 June 2018

Agenda item 5: Protection of broadcasting organizations

We would like to highlight that some of the existing alternatives to the text of the Broadcasting treaty have serious issues.

Some of the points that bear re-emphasizing are problems with watering down of limitations and exceptions, and the contemplation of a fifty year term of protection without any rationale or justifications.

If you look at the history of the Committee’s deliberations, the limitations and exceptions have been significantly diluted over the years. On the other hand, the ask for increased protections in terms of number of rights, scope and term has only increased.

Further, if the protection extends only to the signal and not to the programmes contained therein, it is still not clear as to why a 50 year protection is needed for an ephemeral signal.

Reiterating the words of the Asia-Pacific Group delegate- this matter requires proper balancing from a developmental perspective. I submit that in my opinion, it does not appear that we are anywhere close to achieving that.

Thank you.

--
Anubha Sinha

Centre for Internet and Society, India