[A2k] EIFL general statement on L&Es

Teresa Hackett teresa.hackett at eifl.net
Wed May 30 07:18:15 PDT 2018

WIPO STANDING COMMITTEE ON COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS

36th Session: Geneva, 28 May -1 June 2018
Agenda item 6 Limitations and Exceptions for Libraries and Archives

General Limitations and Exceptions

I'm speaking on behalf of Electronic Information for Libraries that works
with libraries in more than 50 developing and transition economy countries
to enable access to knowledge.

We thank the Chair for preparing the Draft Action Plan. We thank all the
delegates for their support for libraries and archives expressed this
morning.

Mr Chairman, at the last SCCR, Prof Crews presented the updated study on
limitations and exceptions for libraries and archives. Analysis of the new
data and trends in the development of national copyright laws illustrate
three points:

First, brand new laws are not providing for current technologies that are
widely used by libraries, students, educators and citizens everywhere.

Second, there is a growing inequality in the means to legally access
knowledge that will only serve to drive people towards unauthorized sources.

Third, WIPO needs to take a leadership role in setting basic international
standards for use of copyrighted works by libraries not only for the sake
of access to knowledge, but also for the credibility of the copyright
system especially among the so-called ‘digital native’ generation.

An agreed Work Plan, building on the substantial body of work already
undertaken by the Committee and in line with the mandate of the 2012
Assemblies as underlined by Member States, would help to show a commitment
to such leadership.

Because what happens in this room matters. Decisions of this Committee, or
lack of action, affect information services that libraries are allowed to
provide, and the extent to which people in your country have legal access
to the information they need for work, study and lifelong learning.

In this context, we do express our dismay at the outcome of discussions
yesterday on L&Es in the Chairman’s text of the proposed broadcast treaty.
Without proper exceptions, access to broadcast content for social and
educational purposes will be harder, more expensive, or even prevented. We
ask member states to re-consider this issue at the next SCCR.

Prof Crews called for common sense copyright laws to ensure the future
vitality of the copyright system for everyone’s benefit.

Let’s work together for our common goals.

Thank you.