[A2k] CIS general statement on L&Es

Anubha Sinha anubha at cis-india.org
Wed May 30 07:32:12 PDT 2018

ITEM 6: CIS Statement – General on Limitations and Exceptions

Thank you, Mr. Chair.
I’m speaking on behalf of the Centre for Internet and Society, India.

As we move forward on this agenda, we believe that for a true balance to be realised, the rights of all users of copyrighted works will have to be treated on par with those of the rights holders for purposes of access to knowledge.  We are disappointed with the state of the limitations and exceptions in the broadcast treaty that made some progress yesterday.

Further, as we have submitted earlier, it is our belief that the present international legal framework does not sufficiently address the opportunities presented by new information and communication technologies. We reiterate the need for open ended exceptions and limitations in this area - which should also facilitate smooth cross border exchange of knowledge.

Thank you.

--
Anubha Sinha

Centre for Internet and Society, India