[A2k] WIPO General Assembly 2018: Statement of the United States on the WIPO Treaty for the Protection of Broadcasting Organizations

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Sat Oct 6 04:16:18 PDT 2018

https://www.keionline.org/29052
--WIPO General Assembly 2018: Statement of the United States on the WIPO
Treaty for the Protection of Broadcasting Organizations
Posted on October 6, 2018 <https://www.keionline.org/29052> by Thiru
<https://www.keionline.org/author/thiru>

On 26 September 2018, at the 2018 WIPO General Assembly, the United States
of America made the following intervention on the WIPO Treaty for the
Protection of Broadcasting Organizations.
------------------------------

World Intellectual Property Organization Assemblies of the Member States
September 24 to October 2, 2018

AGENDA ITEM 14: Report on the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related
Rights (SCCR) DOCUMENT: WTO/GA/50/3

U.S. INTERVENTION AS DELIVERED

*Protection of Broadcasting Organizations*
- The United States supports updating protection for broadcasting
organizations under the terms of the 2007 GA mandate, which calls for a
“signal-based approach” to provide protection for the activities of
broadcasting organizations “in the traditional sense.”
- As we have explained before, the United States believes that such
protection should be narrow in scope, focusing on the key problem of the
unauthorized retransmission of the broadcast signal to the public over all
platforms, including over the Internet.
- At the same time, we are aware that rapid technological changes are
taking place in the broadcasting industry, which present significant
challenges to establishing international norms.
- We have been reflecting on our discussions, and expect to be ready to
provide new ideas for moving forward at the next session of the SCCR.
- We plan to table a text that could serve to bridge the gaps between
different Member States’ approaches.
- Hopefully this will generate a fresh look at the fundamental issues, and
promote greater consensus on common goals.
- We cannot agree yet to setting a specific date for a diplomatic
conference. The SCCR is not yet at the point that it has developed a mature
text that would ensure success.
- We believe that real progress can be made in November’s meeting, however,
that will take us further in that direction.

--
Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative
thiru at keionline.org