[A2k] KEI Comments on Intellectual Property Protection for Artificial Intelligence Innovation, for USPTO Request for Comments | Knowledge Ecology International

James Love james.love at keionline.org
Mon Jan 13 07:25:17 PST 2020

The USPTO request for comments were on copyright, trademarks, patents,
trade secrets....   but the questions seemed to focus on copyright issues.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/03/2019-26104/request-for-comments-on-intellectual-property-protection-for-artificial-intelligence-innovation

https://www.keionline.org/32101

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:21 AM Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:52 PM James Love <james.love at keionline.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > These are our comments on the USPTO request for comments on AI and IP.
> The
> > notice primarily focuses on copyright.  The US Copyright Office also is
> > holding a meeting on copyright and AI and Feb 5.
> >

> > https://www.keionline.org/32101
>
> Does the UPSTO ask for comments only on copyright, or also on patents?
>
> USPTO illegally changed their examination guidelines to partially
> ignore Alice, which forms the basis for reopening the software patent
> floodgates.
>
> --
> Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
> FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403
> "In July 2005, after several failed attempts to legalise software
> patents in Europe, the patent establishment changed its strategy.
> Instead of explicitly seeking to sanction the patentability of
> software, they are now seeking to create a central European patent
> court, which would establish and enforce patentability rules in their
> favor, without any possibility of correction by competing courts or
> democratically elected legislators."

U.S. Mobile +1.202.361.3040
U.S. office phone +1.202.332.2670
http://www.keionline.org <http://www.keionline.org/donate.html>