[A2k] Launched! Americas Dialogue by the RELE-OAS

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 10:36:37 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

It is a pleasure to share some info on a project I have been working on.
The Office of the Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression
<https://www.oas.org/pt/cidh/expressao/> of the Inter-American Commission
on Human Rights has today launched the Dialogue of the Americas on Internet
Freedom of Expression
<https://www.americasdialogue.org/pt/dialogo-das-americas/>, a dialogue
that aims to be open, multilingual, and multisectoral. We invite you to
attend the welcome video of Mr. Pedro Vaca here, the Rapporteur
<https://youtu.be/NQhWf3kKs14>.

Thus, I encourage you to review the Dialogue platform
<https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/americas-dialogue/> and participate in
its activities and consultations. The purpose of the Dialogue
<https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/about-the-dialogue/#objectives>, in
addition to listening to voices from across the American hemisphere and
systematizing the level of consensus and dissent - from experts to
non-experts, because we are all affected by what happens online - is to
create and suggest an action plan to the IACHR as well as encouraging
various public and private actors to commit to a better digital ecosystem.

This Dialogue responds to a mandate
<https://www.oas.org/es/CIDH/jsForm/?File=/es/cidh/prensa/comunicados/2021/026.asp>
from the beginning of this year related to guaranteeing the right to
freedom of expression on the internet; In turn, 3 thematic axes have been
selected on which the Dialogue will be based:

   -

   Deterioration of the Public Debate
   <https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/deterioration-of-public-debate/>
   -

   Internet Content Moderation
   <https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/content-moderation/>
   -

   Digital Literacy for the development of civic skills.
   <https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/digital-literacy/>

During the next 8 weeks, from September 20, 2021, various open and online
activities and consultations are open to everyone. Read more about the
Dialogue phases here
<https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/about-the-dialogue/#phases>.

We invite you to contribute and participate in the following initial
activities:

   -

   Deterioration of the Public Debate:
   <https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/deterioration-of-public-debate/>

   -

   Reading the Concept Note
   -

   Contribution of materials to the Knowledge Center
   -

   Listen to interviews with experts on the subject
   -

   Survey, followed by Discussion Forums
   -

   Referring situations and cases to the Reports section for Monitoring and
   Analysis

   -

   Content Moderation on the Internet:
   <https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/content-moderation/>

   -

   Reading the Concept Note
   -

   Contribution of materials to the Knowledge Center
   -

   Listen to interviews with experts on the subject
   -

   Opinion polls
   -

   Referring situations and cases to the Reports section for Monitoring and
   Analysis

   -

   Digital Literacy oriented for the development of civic skills:
   <https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/digital-literacy/>

   -

   Reading the Concept Note
   -

   Contribution of materials to the Knowledge Center
   -

   Listen to interviews with experts on the subject
   -

   Survey, followed by Discussion Forums
   -

   Referring situations and cases to the Reports section for Monitoring and
   Analysis

Finally, the Dialogue provides a Newsletter
<https://www.americasdialogue.org/en/about-the-dialogue/> to which you can
subscribe with alerts and news, as well as social media (Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/RELE.CIDH>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/RELE_CIDH>, YouTube <http://youtube>) so that you can
learn more about the Dialogue and other RELE activities.

RELE also provides the email cidhreledialogo at oas.org for questions.

Greetings,

*__Carolina A. Rossini, JD, LLM, MBA*
*Skype:* carolina.rossini_2 | Twitter: @carolinarossini