[Ip-health] News: Alibab.com- NORWEGIAN MINISTER URGES NOVARTIS TO WITHDRAW CASE AGAINST INDIA

Terri - Louise Beswick Terri at haiweb.org
Thu Aug 12 02:13:32 PDT 2010

NORWEGIAN MINISTER URGES NOVARTIS TO WITHDRAW CASE AGAINST INDIA

Published: 09 Aug 2010 01:12:43 PST

The Norwegian Minister of International Development, Mr. Erik
Solheim,has urged Novartis to withdraw its case against India.

In a letter to Mr. Daniel Vasella, Managing Director, Chairman and CEO
of Novartis International AG in Switzerland, the Norwegian Minister, who
is deeply engaged in efforts to fight poverty and in achieving the UN
Millennium Development Goals, has said: "India contributes in very
significant ways to the overall production capacity for life saving
generic drugs, with major exports to developing countries. It is
important for global health that this contribution can continue. I,
therefore, strongly encourage you to seek a solution in the current case
that adequately address these concerns. I will encourage you to consider
to withdraw your case against India".

He has underlined that there is a shared interest in a universal,
rule-based, open, non-discriminatory and multilateral trading system
that, at the same time, can support global health security. "Building in
public health safeguards in national patent laws to ensure that patents
do not limit access to medicines is a right of every country. The cost
of innovation cannot be borne by countries and people with the weakest
economic capacity".

"Health is one of the most important long-term international challenges
of our time. Life and health are our most precious assets. Investment in
health is fundamental to economic growth and development. Therefore,
international trade policies and agreements need to be placed within the
context of protecting and promoting health and well-being.. Global
health security is depending on each country having the capacity to
safeguard public health", the letter adds.

* Novartis has filed a case in Chennai High Court challenging the clause
of the Indian Patent (Amendment) Act, which does not grant patents to
medicines, which are new forms of an existing drug or "ever-greened"
rather than innovations. The Patent Office in Chennai in February 2006
refused to give patent to the Novartis leukemia drug called Gleevec on
the grounds that it was "ever greened".

http://news.alibaba.com/article/detail/international-trade-special/10037
5712-1-norwegian-minister-urges-novartis-withdraw.html