[Ip-health] Webcast and final opportunity to register - Medicines for Neglected Diseases Workshop, Boston 10-11 Sept. 2010

Mike Gretes mike.gretes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 09:17:21 PDT 2010

*
           Only two short weeks away, t
          he Medicines for Neglected Diseases Workshop will be held in
Boston 10-11 Sept. 2010 -
http://MeND2010.mindthehealthgap.org<http://mend2010.mindthehealthgap.org/>
-
immediately before ICAAC 2010 -
         web registration closes Sept. 8.

         **For those unable to travel to Boston, you may register
                                     for a live, interactive webcast
                     at -

http://MeND2010.mindthehealthgap.org<http://mend2010.mindthehealthgap.org/>
 -
             rofessionals, trainees, and students from low- and
middle-income countries are strongly encouraged to participate, and need pay
only what they can afford - contact MeND2010 at mindthehealthgap.org for more
info**

    The Workshop gathers scientists and clinicians in diverse areas of
chemistry, biology, and medicine, along with funders (NIH, Gates
Foundation), health technology product developers (International AIDS
Vaccine Initiative, Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative, Daktari
Diagnostics, Diagnostics for All), key advocacy organizations and thought
leaders will build consensus on specific
questions<http://www.mindthehealthgap.org/events/2010/mend/objectives/>
facing
those committed to excellence in biomedical research for people living in
poverty.  We will showcase funding, collaboration, and other opportunities
to get involved.

  Confirmed media coverage so far includes Nature (Editor), Nature
Medicine (Senior
Editor), and Chemical & Engineering News (Editor).  Key speakers and t
    hree panels will focus on key considerations for the development of
therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics for people living in low-income
communities worldwide:

 Keynote Address: Thomas Pogge, President & Director, Incentives for Global
Health; Leitner Professor of Philosophy & International Affairs at Yale
University; Professorial Fellow, ANU Centre for Applied Philosophy & Public
Ethics.

Opening Remarks: Ashley Stevens, President, Association for University
Technology Managers.

Special Workshop Session: Barry Bunin, Chief Executive Officer,
Collaborative Drug Discovery.

      Panel 1: Priorities & Pathways to Affordable Drugs, Diagnostics &
Vaccines

   - Els Torreele – Project Director, Access to Medicines Initiative, Open
   Society Institute; past Senior Project Manager, Drugs for Neglected Diseases
   initiative; past Coordinator, Drugs for Neglected Diseases Working Group at
   Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors without Borders.
   - Dennis Liotta – Professor of Chemistry, Emory University; Director,
   Emory Institute for Drug Discovery.
   - James Love – Director, Knowledge Ecology International.
   - Jerrold Ellner – Professor & Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases,
   Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center; Principal
   Investigator, NIH Clinical Diagnostics Research Consortium for TB.

    Panel
 2: Collaborations with Industry & Product Development Partnerships

   - David Cook – Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer,
   International AIDS Vaccine Initiative; past Chief Executive Officer, Anza
   Therapeutics.
   - Una Ryan – President & Chief Executive Officer, Diagnostics for All.
   - Denice Spero – Co-director, Institute of Immunology & Informatics,
   Providence, RI; Research Professor, University of Rhode Island; Co-founder,
   Developing World Cures; past Vice President Drug Discovery,
   Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals.
   - Jean-Pierre Paccaud – Business Development Director, Drugs for
   Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi).
   - Melinda Moree – Chief Executive Officer, BIO Ventures for Global
   Health; past Chief Executive Officer, PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative.

Panel 3: Funding Sources, Trends & Policy Proposals

   - William Rodriguez – Founder, Daktari Diagnostics; past Chief Medical
   Officer, Clinton Foundation.
   - Javier Guzman – Director of Research, Policy Cures; Co-Author, G-
   FINDER Neglected Diseases Funding Report Series.
   - John Rogers – Preclinical Parasite Drug Development Program Officer,
   Parasitology & International Programs Branch, National Institute of Allergy
   & Infectious Diseases, NIH.
   - Neil McDonnell – Chief of Staff, Global Health Program, Bill & Melinda
   Gates Foundation.
   - Kevin Outterson – Associate Professor of Law, Boston University;
Editor-in-
   Chief, Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics.

The Workshop flyer is attached - please feel free to get in touch with me if
you have any questions, and feel free to pass this information around to
colleagues.

Best Regards,

Mike
 *