[Ip-health] The Great DNA Data Deficit

jonathan latham jrlatham at gn.apc.org
Tue Dec 21 06:51:34 PST 2010

Dear Ip-Health
I received no reply from my recent effort to post on your list serv,
although an email led me to expect one.
I presume there may be a problem with your  system?
Here is the post again:

Link: The Great DNA Data Deficit: Are Genes for Disease a Mirage?

	Synopsis: Since sequencing the first human genome, genetic
researchers have searched intensively but unearthed almost no
evidence to suggest that inherited genes cause common diseases.
Indeed, for common diseases, which include heart disease, stroke,
cancers, diabetes, and disorders such as autism, ADHD and dementia,
as well as mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and depression, a
significant role for genetic causation can now be ruled out with a
high degree of confidence.
	Despite their reproducibility and significance, however, awareness
of these results is almost non-existent. Yet these findings represent
the most important scientific breakthrough in understanding human
health in twenty five years and they have many profound implications.
They mean that human disease is primarily of environmental and not
inherited origin. They mean that knowledge of the human genome is not
going to fulfill most of the medical progress and therapeutic roles
it was intended to. They mean that for most people personalized
genomics is never going to be useful for predicting the diseases they
will develop. And they mean we need to get serious about researching
the broader environmental and dietary causes of all these diseases.

yours sincerely
Jonathan

Jonathan Latham (PhD)
Executive Director