[Ip-health] Viiv Healthcare voluntary licenses

Aidan Hollis ahollis at ucalgary.ca
Mon Jul 19 09:56:19 PDT 2010

ViiV is the GSK-Pfizer JV HIV/AIDS meds

ViiV Healthcare announces further initiatives to improve access to HIV medications for people living in the least developed countries

	• Voluntary licence policy extended to 69 countries, where 80% of all people with HIV live
	• Generic companies offered royalty-free voluntary licences for all current ViiV Healthcare products and future pipeline

July, 2010, London, UK – Today ViiV Healthcare announced a new series of initiatives to support people living with HIV/AIDS in the poorest and most vulnerable countries. To address the evolving treatment needs in these countries, people living with HIV/AIDS will now be able to access the whole portfolio of ViiV Healthcare antiretroviral medicines, produced by generic companies. ViiV Healthcare is expanding the number of countries that this relates to, to include all least developed countries, all low income countries and all of sub-Saharan Africa – that is 80% of all people currently living with HIV.

ViiV Healthcare is also making the groundbreaking step of making all patents available to generic manufacturers in these countries for all future pipeline developments, such as the novel integrase inhibitor jointly under development Shionogi - ViiVHealthcare, LLC.

“At present the numbers of people in the least developed countries moving onto second line therapy is very low compared to the developed world. However as more people have access to treatment, there is an increased need for second and third line treatment options once initial treatment failure occurs.” said Dr Dominique Limet, CEO of ViiV Healthcare “This is why we have taken steps to make our entire portfolio and our pipeline available through our royalty-free voluntary licensing and not-for-profit initiatives.”

Voluntary licences are granted by patent holders to allow a generic company to manufacture and sell versions of their products. ViiV Healthcare will now make these available, royalty free, to generic companies for all of their current portfolio, including the newer innovative products as well as future pipeline developments.

ViiVHealthcare acknowledges the contribution of Shire Pharmaceuticals Group plc, which has a Master Licence agreement with ViiVHealthcare, for products containing lamivudine; and of Shionogi co-developer of the integrase inhibitor with ViiVHealthcare that have also agreed to waive its rights to royalty payments in order to improve access for these products.

http://www.viivhealthcare.com/media-room/press-releases/2010-07-16.aspx
Aidan Hollis
Professor of Economics

University of Calgary, 2500 University Dr NW Calgary AB T2N 1N4 Canada
tel: +1 403 220 5861  fax: +1 403 220 5861
email: ahollis at ucalgary.ca
web: http://econ.ucalgary.ca/hollis.htm

Incentives for Global Health
http://www.healthimpactfund.org