[Ip-health] Tamiflu Shortages Subject of PUBPAT Inquiry

Public Patent Foundation (PUBPAT) info at pubpat.org
Thu Jun 24 08:15:53 PDT 2010

Tamiflu is the most frequently prescribed medicine for the flu.  The
Public Patent Foundation at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (PUBPAT)
is interested in hearing from people concerned about possible Tamiflu
shortages this upcoming flu season.  Last year, there were reported
shortages of children's Tamiflu and there might be similar shortages or
shortages of adult Tamiflu this year if the flu outbreak becomes severe.
 Due to patents on the drug, Tamiflu is currently only available from
one company, and we are investigating whether a challenge to those
patents, which would allow other companies to offer the drug, would be
in the public interest.  We welcome comments from anyone who previously
had a problem getting Tamiflu or any parent, physician, pharmacist or
other person concerned about the possibility of a Tamiflu shortage this
year.  If you would like to share your thoughts about these issues with
us, please send an email to info at pubpat.org or call (212) 545-5337.  For
more information about us, please visit our website at www.pubpat.org.
--
Public Patent Foundation (PUBPAT)