[Ip-health] Mary Moran, Inc

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Thu May 20 01:39:29 PDT 2010

http://www.keionline.org/node/846

Mary Moran, Inc.
By James Love
Created 19 May 2010 - 5:24am
Dr. Mary Moran was a member of the WHO Expert Working Group on R&D
financing. According to one WHO official, she was also hired by the
World Health Organization to write key sections of the report, managed
the selection criteria, ended up giving her own proposal the highest
rating [1], and was asked by the WHO to address the May 13th
consultations with WHO member states. Yesterday Dr. Moran approached
me in part to ask that she not be identified as an employee of the
George Institute. "I rent office space from the George Institute, I'm
not an employee," she said. Mary said that she works for a for-profit
firm that she owns.

Malini Aisola subsequently asked Dr. Moran if her for-profit
consulting firm had pharmaceutical company clients. Dr. Moran declined
to answer the question.

--------

Dr Moran
Submitted by Anonymous dude or dudess on 20. May 2010 - 1:33.
Maybe she should ask George institute to amend their webpage accordingly

---------

Mary Moran, Inc.

Submitted by Anonymous dude or dudess on 19. May 2010 - 19:31.

It is true that Dr Mary Moran is no longer a member of the George
Institute, a not for profit NGO based in Australia. She now runs her
own for profit firm called PharmaConsulting Inc. Since establishing
the company she has been successful in shifting projects initially won
by the George Institute to her private firm. Most recently, she has
moved the Gates Foundation-funded GFINDER project from the Institute
to her drug company consulting business. GFINDER is supposed to
provide unbiased reports on global investment in R&D for neglected
diseases. Gates clearly does not see any conflict of interest in
having such reports produced by a for profit company with drug company
clients. It will be interesting to see whether those who have freely
provided the George Institute with information on their R&D
investments will do the same for PharmaConsulting Inc.

---------

Please Retract: Mary Moran, Inc.
Submitted by Anonymous dude or dudess on 19. May 2010 - 11:58.
Mary Moran is lead author on the G-FINDER report series, one upon
which many of us working on illnesses affecting neglected populations
rely. The above accusation against Dr. Moran's professional & academic
integrity carries grave consequences, not only for Dr. Moran's own
career, but for members of the community who make decisions and carry
out advocacy and scholarship based upon her published works.

I oppose, in the strongest possible terms, the making of such an
accusation in a public forum and ask you to please issue a public
retraction and apology along with a clear substantiation of the basis
upon which the above accusation was made.

Thank you,

Mike Gretes, PhD (Biochemistry)

--------

Reply to Dr. Gretes
Submitted by James Love on 20. May 2010 - 4:19.
Dear Dr.Gretes. I'm not sure what to say. Mary approached me and Dr.
Zafar Mirza of the WHO to say she works for a for-profit consulting
firm, and does not want to be identified as working for the George
Institution. Perhaps you would want to follow-up with her.

As for the part about her evaluating her own proposal for funding R&D,
well, its hard to retract, since this is on the public record, and not
really in dispute. She was hired by the WHO and used by the EWG to
evaluate the proposals submitted to the EWG. The highest rated funding
proposal was the Industry Research and Development Facilitation Fund
(IRFF). This was a six page proposal she had written in 2005, and had
never submitted in the EWG public review process. Indeed, on Monday
evening she appeared at a Global Health Council event at the
InterContinental Hotel with Novartis and IAVI to push a modified
version called PDP+. She wears a lot of hats these days. Member of the
EWG. Staff to the EWG. And spokesperson for the  leading funding
proposal endorsed by the EWG. I have no idea what her consulting
business involves, or who her client are. Malini Aisola wrote to Dr.
Moran on Tuesday of this week, asking her if she had clients in the
pharmaceutical industry. Dr. Moran refused to reply. KEI did not
allege she had pharmaceutical industry clients. We asked if she had
clients. Given her role at the WHO these days, it seems like a
reasonable question to ask. I assume that Dr. Moran will clarify this
more this week, and we will be happy to report what she says, if she
has something to say.

James Love, Director, KEI

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative