[Ip-health] suggestions for a HIF pilot drug

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Sat May 22 21:18:16 PDT 2010

Thanks for this important work, Aidan.

But I'm wondering about its appropriateness, as I've always felt there
are two directions for global public policy on health R&D:

1) creative incentivization strategies that further *commodify* drug R&D
(albeit by performance not effective demand) as along the lines below
(Thomas Pogge has also set out the case in detail);

2) creative public investment in *decommodified* drug R&D, production
and distribution - e.g. NHI for early ARVs, TRIPS exemptions (Doha
2001), and the Global Fund for subsidized supply of generics and
assistance in establishing local production facilities, all prompted by
civil society activists, exemplified by South Africa's Treatment Action
Campaign;

While we have so many public health disasters, it makes sense to try as
many strategies as possible, as each disease needs a different approach.

However, it strikes me that these two foundational approaches above are
fundamentally opposed, at some stage. Is that correct? And if so, isn't
the TAC model preferable, and proven?

Cheers,
Patrick