[Ip-health] suggestions for a HIF pilot drug

Riaz Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon May 24 01:20:58 PDT 2010

Given the barriers to entry, high costs, level of basic research,
willingness and the attractiveness of pure patent models (even if the
recipients cannot pay for the meds) there is a need for greater
experimentation. But it seems like BigPharma seems to push for models
that it finds appropriate.

If the system is broke, don't fix it is the mantra because it is
profitable in other areas.

There are many alternatives, including the prize fund, the HIF,
publicly funded research with patents owned by companies but granted
to publicly run boards on an exclusive marketting basis (Novartis
proposal killed by other BigPharma), patent pools etc. The major
problem with the more experimental (although no less rigorous and
studied of these like prize funds and patent pools) approaches is that
it hits the wall of BigPharma which cannot admit ANY problem with the
current system. This short termism has effected international
political processes to a great extent even though it is acknowledged
by even conservatives that the rate of innovation on new chemical
entities has collapsed (even though the number of patents used as
proxies for innovation has been relatively stable).

Why the international community cannot agree to processes that allow
for public (or decommodified) solutions to problems faced by
non-market (that is too poor to pay, which often means too poor to
matter in any realistic sense) participants is amazing. If the tragedy
of the commons was depressing, the tragedy of international health
diplomacy is even worse.

There is room for experimentation (R&D is a hit and miss affair!) but
the possibilities for it are being deliberately limited. There are
range of possibilities, the business as usual models have failed
neglected diseases with 10/90 gap moving from an initial mathematic
critique to a symbolic one.

Neither the patent pool nor progressive prize funds have made much
headway, and they are essentially market based solutions! This is a
sure sign from which to guage the capability of international fora to
address these issues. Even the Public Health, Innovation and IPR
deliverables are mostly quantitative (as lobbied strenuously for by
WHO staffers)

As aid decreases the palliative solutions are going to be less
effective perhaps the pressure for real solutions will likely
increase.

riaz