[Ip-health] Urgent call for action: EU-india FTA protest | Police lathi charge DNP+ members

Kajal Bhardwaj k0b0 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 02:33:37 PDT 2010

Forwarded at the request of DNP+

Friends & Comrades,

Amidst high security and police presence, Delhi Network of Positive People
carried out a 'die in' protest in front of the Indian Commerce Ministry to raise
their concerns about the EU India FTA. FTA negotiations were going on inside the
Ministry.

With guns pointed and batons in hand a strong contingent of Delhi Police tried
to restrict unarmed DNP+ members in their demonstration. With slogans of 'EU
India FTA murdabad' and banners - Europe Hands Off our Medicine! an Effigy of
the EC trade commissioner was burnt.

See protest on You tube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdUCGHXOY0M

During the demonstration Delhi police started to push, slap and lathi charge
(beat up with batons) people living with HIV. several people were hurt and
dragged among them a HIV+ person who is co-infected with spinal TB. The police
beat him up with batons and he was hit on his back several times.

DNP+ is following up with members who are hurt and may need medical aid. Those
who were detained in the Tughlaq Road Police station were released thanks to the
intervention of Lawyers Collective, friends and
parliamentarians. The police were asking DNP+ to sign a letter stating that we
regret the inconvenience caused. BUT WE REFUSED!!!!!!!!

We request all organizations and PLHIV networks to join us in solidarity in
protesting against the inclusion of intellectual property provisions in the EU
India FTA. It affects all of us in developing countries as generic
production is based in India. PLEASE PROTEST IN FRONT OF EC OFFICES & INDIAN
EMBASSY IN YOUR COUNTRY.

Both sides (EC and Indian commerce minister) have been stating publicly that
they would like to conclude the FTA negotiations by the end of 2010. IP
provisions that affect access to affordable medicines continue to be part of the
negotiations despite several appeals to the EC and the Indian government to not
include such harmful provisions in the bilateral trade agreement.

Loon Gangte, DNP+
loon_gangte at yahoo.com