[Ip-health] question on EMA and follow on biologics

Vaughan, William WVaughan at consumer.org
Tue Oct 26 09:02:43 PDT 2010

Nov. 2 and 3, the US FDA is holding hearings on how to implement the new health reform law's (PPACA) provision on follow-on biologics....generic biologics. As you know, the US has approved almost no generic biologics.

As an advocacy staffer for Consumers Union (publisher of Consumer Reports magazine), we are testifying on a number of points. I wonder, however, if anyone on the list service has experience with the EMA's approval of what we understand are several dozen generic biologics, whether such approvals have had any safety issues, and whether the entry of multiple generics has made any difference in pricing issues (I know that it may be hard to see that in an administered price system), and in general, pros or cons of the European generic biologics scene.

Thank you for any insights, references, etc.

**
This e-mail message is intended only for the designated recipient(s) named above. The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, retain, copy, redistribute or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer system.