[Ip-health] Drug quality problems for GSK and BMS

Julian Harris julian.harris.81 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 04:17:44 PDT 2010

It's a great shame when this issue is reduced to "Western Pharma" v
"Southern" Generics and analysts simply take sides in an unsavoury
geo-political battle.

The case below appears to show that the system in the USA is working - a
company has been found culpable, and the matter has been successfully
resolved in the courts. And it was instigated by a GSK whistleblower - a
case of self-regulation.

Independent courts, a strong rule of law and (relatively) low corruption
ensure that companies or individuals who harm or risk harming others are
accountable - ensuring that the standard of products on sale is generally
extremely high.

Compare this to countries where reports constantly reveal extremely low
standard of products, especially in medicines. The likelihood of these cases
being successfully resolved is far, far less.

Even In Russia, for example, a leading pharma company that had been
blatantly faking medicines was fined just a few thousand dollars - around
0.2% of the GSK amount, even though the crime was significantly worse.

Meanwhile in areas where over a third of medicines are substandard (such as
parts of sub-Saharan Africa), people have very little legal protection of
the kind that the GSK case demonstrates. To dismiss this by pointing fingers
at a "Big Pharma" company is extremely disappointing.

Julian Harris
International Policy Network