[Ip-health] Admin consulting on May 10 TPP standards

Sean Flynn sflynn at wcl.american.edu
Mon Apr 4 05:49:54 PDT 2011

>From Inside US Trade

http://insidetrade.com/201104012359739/WTO-Daily-News/Daily-News/brady-s
ays-ustr-consulting-with-house-members-on-may-10-standards-in-tpp/menu-i
d-173.html

Brady Says USTR Consulting With House Members On May 10 Standards In TPP

The Obama administration is holding frequent discussions with members of
Congress to determine which parts of the so-called May 10 agreement it
should pursue in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) talks, House Ways
and Means trade subcommittee Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) said today
(April 1).

"I know [USTR is] having a lot of discussions with Congress on what form
- what parts of May 10th to move forward on," Brady said, referring to a
2007 agreement that changed provisions on labor rights, environmental
protection, and intellectual property rights in numerous free trade
deals.

"I don't think that's been determined from their end, but I know they
are visiting with us quite a bit about it," the congressman added. "I do
know it is hard to negotiate when you don't have clear objectives from
Congress."

Ways and Means Committee Ranking Member Sander Levin (D-MI), however,
this week characterized the talks between the administration and
Congress on U.S. labor and environmental proposals in the TPP
negotiations as very preliminary (Inside U.S. Trade, April 1).

The TPP talks are aimed at creating a regional free trade deal among
nine countries along the Pacific Rim, including the United States. The
sixth round of talks was held in Singapore and concluded this week.

Brady made his comments to reporters following a speech on Capitol Hill
that was jointly hosted by The Brookings Institution and the Heritage
Foundation. The event focused on pending free trade agreements with
Colombia, Panama, and South Korea.

In his speech, Brady touched on Russia's efforts to join the World Trade
Organization. He encouraged Russia to engage members of Congress to
convince them that granting it permanent most favored nation (MFN)
status is a good idea, while stressing that Russia still has a lot of
work to do before it can join the WTO.

"[The Russians] still have a great deal of work to do, I think, to make
[accession] both commercially meaningful, to address the issues we have
on intellectual property rights, agriculture, and other areas," he said.
Russia " also needs to lay a foundation of education among members here
to give them the confidence to move forward on that vote," he said.

He suggested that, when Congress does hold a vote on granting Russia
permanent MFN, many issues are likely to come up in addition to those
strictly related to trade - as was the case when Congress held a vote on
extending permanent MFN to China when it was looking to join the WTO.

"As we learned from ... China [MFN], often times those votes cover a
broad range of security and relationship issues, in addition to the
trade benefits that come with it," he said.

Sean M Fiil Flynn

Associate Director

American University Washington College of Law
Program on Information Justice an Intellectual Property (PIJIP)
4801 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20016
(202) 274-4445

Connect with PIJIP on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn:
  <http://www.facebook.com/wcl.pijip>
<http://twitter.com/WCL_PIJIP>       <http://lnkd.in/pXUVQ2>