[Ip-health] U.S. claim to not be bound by ACTA?

Richards, Ed richards at law.lsu.edu
Thu Apr 21 06:09:49 PDT 2011

A lot of my work is the national security area, where we test the limits of treaties and agreements much more ruthlessly than in other areas. Unless a treaty has been enabled by congress passing the treaty provisions into domestic laws, the president is free to abrogate the treaty without fear of enforcement in US courts. Conversely, the president may enter into executive agreements without congressional approval, and these are as binding as anything else - meaning they are binding as long as the president wants them to be, which is all you get.

Sure, if the treaty includes an international enforcement mechanism that we care about, such as the WTO, treaties have some meaning because we care about enforcement. But if the enforcement is through something like the International Court of Justice, which we do not care about and do not submit to, then treaties are only as good as the president's word. (Torture memos, anyone?)

If you doubt this, I suggest that the strongest argument for presidential power, both to make and break agreements without congress and without judicial review, is the more than 100 unilateral uses of military force abroad over the past 150 years. From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli...

Ed

Edward P. Richards
Director, Program in Law, Science, and Public Health
Harvey A. Peltier Professor of Law
Paul M. Hebert Law Center
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-1000