[Ip-health] Malaysia Trans-Pacific FTA Round: Updated Analysis, Civil Society Protest

Steven Knievel sknievel at citizen.org
Mon Dec 5 11:17:31 PST 2011

This week is the 10th round of negotiations for the Trans-Pacific Free Trade Agreement in Kuala Lampur.

We have updated our comparative analysis of the US intellectual property proposals to the Trans-Pacific FTA and Malaysian law to reflect the content of the leaked September US text (on patent term adjustment, linkage, data exclusivity, etc).  Available here: http://citizen.org/malaysia-Trans-Pacific-FTA-chart

In September, Malaysian civil society groups issued a declaration calling on the US government "to immediately withdraw any and all TRIPS-plus provisions in the intellectual property chapter of the TPPA, and to immediately cease all other forms of pressure & lobbying against Malaysia and Malaysian officials."  The declaration also calls on the Malaysian government to support ending  the secrecy around the negotiations and making negotiating texts available for public scrutiny.

Earlier today Edward Low of MTAAG+ sent an update on civil society actions at the Malaysian round of negotiations:

"Dear All,

This morning 10.30am about 200 hundered of PLHIV and the coalition protest  for 10th round of TPPA talks at Ritz Carlton Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We are tiredly chanting at the main entrance of hotel and waiting for 2 and half hours to hand over the memorandum to the the U.S chief negotiators. They refuse to come down until two of us managed go up to meet the Barbara Wissel, the U.S chief negotiators.

More media article will coming soon.

Please see the photos.

Thanks,
Edward Low
MTAAG+"

We are posting some of Edward's photos here: http://www.citizen.org/Malaysia-Trans-Pacific-FTA

We will continue to keep you posted on developments in the Malaysian round.

More on the Trans-Pacific FTA here: http://www.citizen.org/more-about-trans-pacific-FTA

Steven Knievel
Global Access to Medicines Program
Public Citizen | Protecting Health, Safety and Democracy
TEL: +1 202-588-7771
1600 20th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Twitter: @PCMedsAccess