[Ip-health] Ethical Consumer factor MPP position into ranking

Diarmaid McDonald Diarmaid at aidsconsortium.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 04:49:07 PST 2011

Taken from:
http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/CorporateNews/StoryoftheDay/tabid/1598/EntryId/853/Pharma-firm-slammed-for-choosing-profits-over-people.aspx
Pharma firm slammed for choosing profits over people
Johnson & Johnson refusing to negotiate over HIV drug patents

Johnson & Johnson are “putting a huge number of lives at risk” by refusing to negotiate with the Medicines Patent Pool, an organisation set up in 2010 to make HIV drugs cheaper, better and more accessible. In an article by the New Internationalist<http://www.newint.org/features/2011/12/01/johnson-and-johnson-hiv-drugs/>(NI), patents held by pharmaceutical companies were said to be a significant reason why more than nine million people in the global South can't get the HIV medicines they need.
Johnson & Johnson is said to hold patents on 3 new HIV drugs, and “as some medicines are built from several patents from different sources, the company’s refusal to play ball means some cheap drugs can’t even be made with patents that have been licensed to the Pool by others.”
NI say joining the Pool would have little impact on the company's profits, but would reduce the cost of HIV treatments from $1,000 to less than $100 per patient per year. HIV treatments are said to be an effective way of preventing the spread of the virus.

This story has been added to our corporate database. The database powers all our live buyers' guides<http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/CorporateNews/BuyersGuides.aspx>, giving the score for each company on our rankings tables<http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/CorporateNews/ShoppingEthically/OurEthicalRatings.aspx>.