[Ip-health] HIV drug patent decision

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Mon Jan 3 05:58:51 PST 2011

This is a very important victory for access to medicines.  Bravo to Tahir,
Priti, and IMAK.

Because of this decision, Lopinavir/ritonavir will no longer be blocked from
manufacture and consumption and/or export in India.  However,the patent
status in countries of import/consumption could still block accessibility.
This makes efforts to force Abbott into the Patent Pool and/or the campaign
to get import compulsory licenses even more critical.  On the plus side,
countries will not have to issue August 30 Decision special CLs, but can use
ordinary compulsory licensing procedures.

Given growing evidence that the India Patent Office is not being uniformly
rigorous in applying its strict patentability standards under Section 3(d)
and thus is incorrectly allowing occasional patents on new uses, chemical
variations, new formulations, and new combinations (even in the absence of
evidence of increased efficacy), it is even more important that there be
resources devoted to expert opposition procedures in India.

Brook

Professor Brook K. Baker
Health GAP (Global Access Project)
Northeastern U. School of Law
Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056
b.baker at neu.edu