[Ip-health] K'naan releases video in support of Bill C-393 to fix Canada's Access to Medicines Regime
relliott at aidslaw.ca
Mon Mar 7 11:27:39 PST 2011
Campaign to fix Canada's Access to Medicines Regime (CAMR) - Update, 7 March 2010
This Wednesday, the House of Commons will vote on Bill C-393, which would streamline Canada's law on compulsory licensing of pharmaceuticals for export with a "one-licence solution". The campaign in support of the bill is ramping up in the days before the vote.
Today, K'naan released a video appeal to sign onto a petition addressed to the Canadian Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition Liberal Party to fully support this bill, which is expected to face a close vote in the House of Commons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7DdcM2rzhw. K'naan has urged people to sign on to the Avaaz petition at www.avaaz.ca.
Earlier today, leading health professionals and scientists released an open letter to Parliamentarians calling on them to support the bill:
http://www.aidslaw.ca/EN/camr/documents/Health-sci_ltr-ENG.pdf. Signatories include the following:
- Dr. Don Kilby, President and Founder of the Canada Africa Community Health Alliance;
- Dr. Julio S.G. Montaner, Director of the BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS and immediate past president of the International AIDS Society;
- Dr. James Orbinski, Chair in Global Health, (Dalla Lana School of Public Health), University of Toronto and Co-Founder of Dignitas International;
- Dr. Réjean Thomas, Président Fondateur, Clinique médicale l'Actuel and Président d'honneur, Fondateur, Médecins du Monde Canada;
- Dr. Mark Wainberg, Director of the McGill University AIDS Centre at the Jewish General Hospital and past president of the International AIDS Society; and
- Dr. Anne-Marie Zajdlik, Founder and Director of the Masai Centre and Founder of Bracelet of Hope.
They join their voices to a call issued to Parliamentarians last week by a wide and diverse array of faith leaders from across the country: http://www.aidslaw.ca/EN/camr/documents/FaithLtr_EN.pdf.
For more information, see www.aidslaw.ca/camr.
Executive Director | Directeur général
Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network | Réseau juridique canadien VIH/sida
+1 416 595-1666 (ext./poste 229) | relliott_aidslaw
www.aidslaw.ca | www.twitter.com/aidslaw
Access to Medicines Campaign: www.aidslaw.ca/camr | www.aidslaw.ca/facebook
Campagne pour accès aux médicaments : www.aidslaw.ca/rcam | www.aidslaw.ca/facebook
please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.
s.v.p. ne pas imprimer ce courriel à moins d'en avoir vraiment besoin.
More information about the Ip-health