[Ip-health] Note on use of Orphan Drug Act to increase price of hydroxyprogesterone caproate from $10 to $1, 500 per dose

Sarah Sorscher sesorscher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:39:55 PDT 2011

Does anyone have updated information on whether there are any patents listed
on Makena?

Assuming there are no patents listed, is there any legal barrier to
compounding pharmacies making and selling Hydroxyprogesterone Caproate at
the generic price as they were doing prior to FDA approval?

Even if there are no legal barriers, is there a concern that insurance
companies will only reimburse for the FDA-approved version (thus costing
consumers and taxpayers millions for a drug that was already paid for with
NIH funds in the first place)?

Sarah