[Ip-health] a book on intellectual property rights and global health

bruno vitale vitalebru1929 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 5 07:04:34 PDT 2011

please publish on ip-health list:

From: bruno vitale <vitalebru1929 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: a submission to ip-health Digest
To: "op health" <ip-health-request at lists.keionline.org>
Date: Mai 5, 2011

  from "bruno vitale" vitalebru1929 at yahoo.co.ukwww.css-romande.ch, info at css-romande.ch A new publication of the Centrale Sanitaire Suisse Romande (Geneva): "Development and health in poor countries:role of the International Organizations and of Switzerland"B.Briand, L.Eder-Colli, A.Gut, L.Henny & B.Vitale Four years ago, we published a book on the negative impact of the TRIPS Agreement on essential drugs access in poor countries: "Intellectual property and access to medicines" We have now pushed forward our analysis, to better clarify the different roles played by those international organisations that most heavily influence the decisions relative to essential drugs access. The point was, not only to better identify these roles, but also to make more apparent the choices and the contradictions that determine the relations among those actors; and, at the same time, to discover the internal tensions and contradictions that shape - more perhaps than
 we can imagine - their power plays on the international scene. One discovers therefore on one side, how WTO, WIPO, UPOV, WHO, etc. define their strategies, and on the other side, how these strategies are often the result of compromises in the frame of their internal power struggles. We have critically analysed in more detail the role played by Switzerland in this international game, whose primary aim should be  the guaranty of a facilitated access to essential drugs for poor countries, but where strong influences by powerful economic ("big pharma") and political (free trade agreements) interestsplay an essential role.    The book, published in two versions (French and English), can be freely downloaded from our Internet site: www.css-romande.ch    those who would like to receive a paper copy can either write to us, specifying the language: CSSR, Maison des Associations, 15 r.des Savoises, 1205 Genève, or send us a
 message: info at css-romande.ch [1]-------------------------------------------------------- Foreword First part : parties involved Introduction 1. The World Trade Organization (WTO)Its main role in establishing a universal juridical system of intellectual property 2.1 Patent management especially in the field of health2.2 Close collaboration between WIPO and WTO2.3 Patents on animals and « traditional » plants      (i.e. non genetically modified)2.4 New challenges : the Development Agenda and the Geneva Declaration 3. Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV) 4. The World Health Organization (WHO)4.1 Is the reference in matter of health losing its influence ?4.2 From the Commission on Intellectual Property Rights, Innovation and Public Health (CIPIH) to the Intergovernmental Group on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property (PHI) 5. Multilateral and bilateral relationsThe reinforcement of intellectual
 property rights beyond the standards foreseen by the TRIPS Agreement. 6. Non governmental organizations (NGOs) Second part : role of Switzerland and possible actions Introduction 1. Switzerland’s position vs. intellectual property protection in the framework of WTO 2. Switzerland , IP and access to essential medicines 3. Patenting living species, broaden the bases on which animal races and plant species can be patented through ambiguous processes 4. Health in the world 5. Commitment of Switzerland in bilateral and multilateral agreements 6. Actions of NGOs in Switzerland in the field of access to medicines Conclusion AppendicesAccess to medicines : between WTO’s trade rules and WHO’s public health recommendations, by Germán Velásquez References  and  Recommended reading Logos and acronyms Particulars of international organizations [1] We still have a few copies of the first book (in French and Spanish); please tell us if
 you would like to receive also a copy of it; the three versions (in English, French and Spanish) of  the first book can also be freely downloaded  from our Internet site.