[Ip-health] Chile's planned new drug regulator good news for pharma

Joana Ramos jdr at ramoslink.info
Mon May 9 05:53:29 PDT 2011

http://www.pharmatimes.com/Article/11-05-08/Chile_s_planned_new_drug_regulator_good_news_for_pharma.aspx

Pharma Times
World News | May 08, 2011

Lynne Taylor

Chile's planned new drug regulator good news for pharma

The Chilean parliament is due to examine legislation setting up a
national medicines agency, a move which is seen as good news for
drugmakers, especially multinationals.

Health Minister Jaime Manalich has said he is sending legislative
proposals to parliament to create the new Agencia Nacional de
Medicamentos (Anamed), which will take over drug regulatory
responsibilities from the National Institute of Public Health (ISPCH).
An important responsibility of the new agency will be enforcement of
bioequivalence requirements, the current lack of which has enabled local
drugmakers to manufacture and market "me-too" drugs in the guise of
generics.

Therefore, the establishment of Anamed will be particularly positive for
international drugmakers, "which have been involved in long judicial
battles against local manufacturers of 'me-too' drugs without
bioequivalence accreditation," note analysts at IHS Global Insight......

Joana Ramos, MSW
Cancer Resources & Advocacy
Seattle WA USA
  +1-206-229-2420