[Ip-health] Patent Pool Controversies: Part 2

Gregg Gonsalves gregg.gonsalves at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 22:08:13 PST 2011

Dear Colleagues--

A few days ago, I sent out a passionate note that devolved into a
rant.  Though it reflected the deep frustration I have felt over the
state of the debate on the terms of the licenses brokered by the
Medicines Patent Pool with Gilead Sciences, Inc., the tone was
unproductive and the point of the entire note got lost on many people.
 I apologize for it.

I am very concerned what is happening right now among us.  What should
be real substantive debates on technical and political matters have
devolved into bitter recriminations, claims and counter-claims.

There are important issues at stake in the discussions about the
MPP-Gilead license and the process that led up to the agreement.

By and large, these discussions have been held at a distance, with
exchanges of statements via email, though there have been some fora
where these issues have been discussed face-to-face.  Many of these
in-person discussions have been heated.

We need to try again to talk together about the MPP-Gilead license,
the process of decision-making by the MPP and the role of voluntary
licenses in a more comprehensive approach to access to medicines.

While there may still be differences in opinion after a fuller and
more open debate on all of this, the goal should be to start to build
a common agenda and repair the rupture that began in 2009 between
various actors in the access to treatment movement.

--
Gregg Gonsalves
100 York Street
Email: gregg.gonsalves at gmail.com or gregg.gonsalves at yale.edu