[Ip-health] HAI Statement on the Medicines Patent Pool

Sophie Bloemen Sophie at haieurope.org
Thu Oct 13 15:54:23 PDT 2011

HAI Global and HAI Europe congratulate the Medicines Patent Pool (MPP)
on the licensing agreement with generic companies, most notably
Aurobindo. The sublicenses are a major step forward in the development
of an effective MPP and will have a tangible impact on the lives of many
patients and promise the prospect of real improvements in global Access
to Medicines.

While acknowledging that these licences are an important step forward,
with the potential to deliver real improvements in global Access to
medicines, HAI also supports efforts for an inclusive and transparent
dialogue with MPP, in order to ensure that persons living with HIV, the
broader public health community and the MPP work together, and that
everyone has an opportunity to be informed and consulted on core policy
choices.

We have followed the discussion on the MPP Gilead licence and have been
saddened at the discord to which it has led, both in and between the
Access to Medicines network. There is no doubt that the  opinions on the
MPP differ; even within the HAI network we acknowledge disagreement on
the MPP mechanism and its worth. We also recognize that there are
outstanding issues and questions on the MPP and the Gilead license, for
example we are particularly disappointed the license terms limit
production to India.

Despite differences on specific substantive and process issues, HAI has
confidence in the competence and integrity of the MPP Staff and Board,
and sees value in the MPP as one of several mechanisms to improve public
health and bring greater transparency to the patent system. As part of
international civil society, HAI will continue to campaign for
strategies alongside the MPP, like supporting the use of TRIPS
flexibilities and opposing TRIPS plus trade policies, addressing
conditions and circumstance that cannot be addressed by the MPP. HAI
will also continue to follow broader voluntary licence trends, such as
opaque licensing negotiations between companies that exclude other
stakeholders and we will campaign for alternative R&D models and
incentives that de-link the cost of R&D from the price of the product.
However, the MPP is an important contribution to contemporaneous access
issues whilst we work towards perfect solutions.

There is a need for constructive dialogue between all stakeholders
around the MPP issues in contention, without it frustrating or derailing
the efforts of the MPP team in bringing us to this point. An informed
and critical content discussion with MPP is important and should lead to
improvement. What should be avoided is an accusative and aggressive tone
which is unnecessary and not conducive to further fruitful cooperation
on Access to Medicines. It will take time to have a clear view on the
contributions and faults of the MPP, and critical voices from different
regions will help the pool to develop. For now though, we are impressed
by what the MPP staff has achieved and are anxious to see how it further
develops.

Tim Reed (HAI Global)

Sophie Bloemen (HAI Europe)

See: