[Ip-health] New Consultation Draft from R4D - "Patent Pools: Assessing Their Value-Added for Global Health Innovation and Access

Edith Han ehan at resultsfordevelopment.org
Mon Sep 12 12:35:35 PDT 2011

The Center for Global Health R&D Policy (http://healthresearchpolicy.org/) at
the Results for Development Institute has just released a consultation draft
of an on-going assessment, "Patent Pools: Assessing Their Value-added for
Global Health Innovation and
Access<http://healthresearchpolicy.org/assessments/patent-pools-assessing-their-value-added-global-health-innovation-and-access>
."
http://healthresearchpolicy.org/assessments/patent-pools-assessing-their-value-added-global-health-innovation-and-access

In the report, we analyze whether and how intellectual property (IP) rights
may act as barriers to neglected disease drug research and development (R&D)
and access. We then examine the relevance of two current initiatives for
joint intellectual property management -- the Medicines Patent Pool created
by UNITAID, and BIO Ventures for Global Health's (BVGH’s) Pool for Open
Innovation Against Neglected Tropical Diseases -- as ways to overcome these
IP barriers.

As with all our policy assessments, we welcome your insights and suggestions
for improving our draft report.

This consultation draft will be available on our website for your review and
comment until September 23, 2011.

We would encourage you to post your comments on our website.

We will also be holding a *consultation event* on *Thursday, September 15*,
starting at 10 am EST.  Please contact Edith Han at
ehan at resultsfordevelopment.org if you are interested in attending the event.

--
Edith Han
Program Associate

*We moved! Please note our new address below*.
1100 15th Street, N.W. Suite #400
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: 1-202-470-5737
Fax: 1-202-470-5712