[Ip-health] Bloomberg on patent talks in NCD discussions

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Fri Sep 16 11:29:56 PDT 2011

As I am sure people are aware, one reason that the US and EU want to avoid
references to epidemics in the NCD Declaration is, in their twisted minds,
to reduce the risk that countries might consider NCDs "emergencies or
matters of extreme urgency" that do not require prior negotiations for
voluntary licenses on reasonable terms before issuance of compulsory
licenses under Art. 31 of the TRIPS Agreement.  The prior negotiation
requirement has historically been used both to deter and slow down CLs.

In addition, at the level of political rhetoric, by avoiding the term
epidemic, the US and EU hope to maintain that they aren't that serious and
that they do not justify what the US and EU have historically said they
tolerate - only issuance of CL in rare and exceptional circumstances.

Finally, keeping NDCs off the emergency/extreme-urgency list will also
estop some countries that have opted out of the Paragraph 6 export/import
system from seeking cheaper medicines from other countries.

All of this is done at the behest of Big Pharma that is obsessing over the
prospects of huge NCD markets in middle income countries where hundreds of
millions of patients need such products.  Why let generics get in the way
of monopoly profits?

Brook
Professor Brook K. Baker

Health GAP (Global Access Project)
Northeastern U. School of Law
Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056
b.baker at neu.edu