[Ip-health] Important updates to The Great DNA Data Deficit: Are Genes for Disease a Mirage?

jonathan latham jrlatham at bioscienceresource.org
Fri Apr 27 20:18:06 PDT 2012

Dear Friends and Colleagues

In the eighteen months since we published (to some scepticism) The
Great DNA Data Deficit: Are Genes for Disease a Mirage? there have
been important developments in human genetics that are relevant to
the food and environmental movements worldwide, and that deserve to
be very widely known.

In particular, two scientific publications, the first from Jan 2012:
The mystery of missing heritability: Genetic interactions create
phantom heritability by O. Zuk, E. Hechter, S. Sunyaev and E. Lander
in the Proceedings of the US National Academy of Sciences.
This can be found at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/
PMC3268279/

and even more recently, from April 2012:
The Predictive Capacity of Personal Genome Sequencing by NJ Roberts,
JT Vogelstein, G. Parmigiani, KW Kinzler, B. Vogelstein and VE
Velculescu in Science Translational Medicine.
This can be found at: http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~kbroman/hgjc/
hgjc_2012-04-13.pdf

These papers have powerfully vindicated the scientific conclusions of
our article. We draw your attention to three noteworthy aspects:

1) the lead authors of each (B. Vogelstein and E. Lander) are among
the most highly cited biomedical researchers in the world
2) that their analyses, though new, are based on data that have been
available since the human genome was sequenced. It is a rethink, not
new data.
3) these papers demonstrate that leading medical geneticists no
longer have realistic expectations that most human disease occurrence
can be explained by inherited genetic predispositions.

In other words, genetic determinism of disease is a reductionistic
fallacy that is now collapsing. Geneticists now face a long retreat
from Moscow and the interesting question of who will rewrite the
textbooks and tell the public.

We would also like to point out some others who have stuck their
necks far out and predicted these events long before we did.
Joseph D Terwilliger and Kenneth M Weiss Linkage disequilibrium
mapping of complex disease: fantasy or reality? Current Opinion in
Biotechnology 9: 578-594 (1998)
Jay Joseph (The Gene Illusion, 2004) http://jayjoseph.net/
the_gene_illusion
Helen M. Wallace (2006) A model for gene-gene and gene-environment
interactions and its implications for targeting environmental
interventions by genotype. Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling
3: 35-58.

One last point is perhaps worth making. It is important to appreciate
that, with a few exceptions, research geneticists have not merely
been wrong in this matter, but that they have actively and grossly
misled society as a whole. They could have and should have known that
genetic predispositions might after all explain very little in the
way of disease, but they routinely failed to make clear that
possibility and went far beyond the actual evidence in order to
obtain public funds and prestige. Caveat emptor.

yours sincerely
Jonathan Latham and Allison Wilson

Jonathan Latham (PhD)
Executive Director