[Ip-health] Wall Street Journal: U.S. Supreme Court to Review Patents on Human Genes

Jon Merz merz at upenn.edu
Wed Dec 5 06:11:21 PST 2012

to my reading, this misrepresents the status of the case.  the justices
granted certiorari on the narrow issue of whether isolated and purified
human genes are patentable subject matter, that is, whether the
composition of matter claims are any good.  the diagnostics claims were
invalidated by the CAFC, both before and after Prometheus, as
nonpatentable products of nature and specifically mental steps.  denial
of cert on these issues makes it clear that prometheus applies to
genetic diagnostics as well as biochemical assays.

jon merz