[Ip-health] MSF urges GAVI and vaccines community to do better as Partners Forum ends

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 04:52:34 PST 2012

As the GAVI Alliance Partners Forum vaccine conference comes to an end in
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Médecins Sans Frontières has urged Geneva-based
GAVI and the broader international vaccines community to get serious about
reaching more children and do much better in reducing vaccine prices and
producing products that are designed to meet developing country needs.

*Comment by Médecins Sans Frontières on the closing of the GAVI Partners
Forum vaccination meeting in Tanzania*

“It’s time to put an end to the fact that one in five babies born every
year still misses out on basic vaccination that can protect them from
childhood killers. In the often unstable and remote places where we work,
we need vaccines that don’t require refrigeration, can be delivered without
needles and can be given in fewer doses so we can get to the
hardest-to-reach children.

The ‘Decade of Vaccines’ will only be a success if GAVI and the vaccination
community change their ways and get serious about developing vaccines
tailored to developing country needs, and get much more aggressive about
bringing vaccine prices down so countries can afford them long term, once
donor support tapers off.

We call on GAVI to systematically extend its prices to humanitarian actors
who are often closest to the most unreached children in need of life-saving
vaccines, because we can’t afford to waste time in lengthy negotiations
with companies each time we need to act fast.”

- Dr. Manica Balasegaram, Executive Director, Médecins Sans Frontières
Access Campaign

*Joanna Keenan*
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: twitter.com/joanna_keenan

msfaccess.org
twitter.com/MSF_access