[Ip-health] France commits to global health R&D; MSF urges other govts to follow suit

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 01:53:54 PST 2012

On 1 August, France became the first country in the European Union to
introduce a financial transaction tax (see
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/france-introduces-financial-transaction-tax-003904207.html).
A week earlier on 23 July, at the International AIDS Conference in
Washington DC, President Hollande announced that part of the proceeds from
the tax would be used for humanitarian and health purposes, including the
fight against HIV (see
http://sciencespeaksblog.org/2012/07/25/french-transaction-tax-to-fund-aids-research-to-launch-august-1/#axzz2F139v7Tn).

Yesterday, during a conference on research and development for global
health needs co-hosted by Médecins Sans Frontières, a representative of the
French government announced that France would direct a portion of the
revenue generated by the tax to R&D for global health needs. (See
conference website - which is webcast and continues today -
http://dwb.org/events/symposiums/2012-lives-in-the-balance/?id=6402&cat=lives-in-the-balance
)

The announcement was made by Fabienne Bartoli, Social Development Counselor
at the French Mission to the United Nations at the MSF/Drugs for Neglected
Diseases initiative conference on R&D for neglected populations in New
York, 13 December 2012.

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders response to the
French government’s announcement that a portion of the financial
transaction tax they have decided to implement will be dedicated to global
health research and development:

*“The announcement by the French government to prioritize global health
research and development is an important step toward making sure
life-saving drugs and medical tools are developed and delivered to the
people who need them most. We call on additional governments to set up
similar financial transaction taxes and to follow the French government’s
move to dedicate a portion of the revenue to respond to neglected health
needs. Every day in our work, we witness firsthand the failures of today’s
health research and development system that does not deliver adequately for
people in developing countries.”*

- Sophie Delaunay, Executive Director, MSF-USA

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: twitter.com/joanna_keenan

msfaccess.org
twitter.com/MSF_access