[Ip-health] ACTA: European spring is over

Ante ante at ffii.org
Mon Feb 6 08:34:05 PST 2012

European spring is over
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=1137
with links and image

February 5, 2012
By Ante

Picture: Transparency arrived at its final resting place

The European Parliament has sent me the legal service’s opinion on ACTA. It is
almost completely blacked out.

On 4 October the Legal Affairs committee requested the opinion of the
Parliament’s legal service on ACTA. The service concluded the opinion on 8
December. I requested the document on 10 December.

On 19 December the Legal Affairs committee decided to make the opinion public.

There was a first indication things were going wrong on 11 January. The
Parliament’s register wrote me: “Due to ongoing consultations in view of
disclosure of the requested documents, we would like to inform you that in
accordance with Article 7(3) of Regulation 1049/2001, we need to extend the
reply’s time limit by adding 15 working days.”

On 4 February (letter dated 31.1) I received the blacked out document.
Apparently, the Legal Affairs committee’s decision was overridden. By whom?
Probably by the Parliament’s Bureau.

Does it matter, since we already have the document? Yes, it does. I also
received replies given by the legal service to International Trade committee
questions. And yes, the document is almost fully blacked out as well.

This is a grave matter. The FFII analysed the legal service’s opinion on ACTA,
and found that the legal service consistently overlooked known issues with
ACTA.

The legal service can now go on with providing intellectually dishonest
opinions in secret. Opinions which may seriously influence the decision making
process.

The Union has aspects of an empire. It has a democratic deficit. And the
Parliament isn’t helpful at all.