[Ip-health] “I’m not impressed by anti-ACTA demonstrations” says Mr. Karel De Gucht

Pauline Londeix pauline.londeix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 08:53:52 PST 2012

• Press statement • Act Up-Paris • February 8, 2012

“I’m not impressed by anti-ACTA demonstrations” says Mr. Karel De
Gucht, European Commissioner
EC despises any democratic expression

http://www.actupparis.org/spip.php?article4757

8-Feb-12, Paris : Yesterday an Act Up-Paris activist, who managed to
find her way through the so-called “Civil Society Dialogue” meeting,
confronted the European Commissioner regarding the impact of the trade
agreement being negotiated by EC for years without any democratic
consultation. As the activist was talking about the worldwide
demonstrations against ACTA or the Free trade Agreements, Karel de
Gucht casually stated : “I am not impressed by anti ACTA
demonstrations”.
This proves De Gucht’s contempt towards any democratic expression. Any
responsible person having concern for democracy and common interests
would pay attention to the hundreds of thousands of citizens
protesting and would take serious note of the petition signed against
ACTA by 2 million people.

It is very evident from his statement that De Gucht despises
democracy, he despises the rights of the citizens of a democracy and
despises their freedom. He despises the life of people living with HIV
or any other serious disease, who had also demonstrated against the
murderous agreements being negotiated by EC De Gucht.

This supposedly “Civil Society dialogue” was in itself a proof of De
Gucht’s contempt for democracy as half of the “organizations” invited
were lobbyists from industries.

History will remember De Gucht as a relentless enemy of democracy and
a big danger for patients around the world. Act-Up Paris demands Karel
De Gucht to quit from his position.