[Ip-health] ACTA: Where did the patients go?

Ante ante at ffii.org
Mon Feb 27 04:51:25 PST 2012

Where did the patients go?
http://acta.ffii.org/?p=1198
with links

February 26, 2012
By Ante

The European Commission decided to ask the EU Court of Justice an opinion on
ACTA. Commissioner Karel De Gucht stated: "We are planning to ask Europe’s
highest court to assess whether ACTA is incompatible – in any way – with the
EU’s fundamental rights and freedoms, such as freedom of expression and
information or data protection and the right to property in case of
intellectual property."

I note De Gucht does not mention public health issues. Oxfam (pdf), Public
Citizen (pdf), Médecins Sans Frontières (pdf), and Flynn and Madhani voiced
serious concerns over access to essential medicines – a matter of life and
death. Furthermore, the Commission did not assess the effects ACTA may have on
diffusion of green technology, needed to fight climate change.

The Commission should ask the Court to also assess global public health
concerns. Is ACTA compatible with Human dignity and the Right to life,
protected by the Charter of fundamental rights of the European Union, art 1
and 2, the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental
Freedoms, art 2, and the Treaty on European Union, art 2?