[Ip-health] IP-Watch: WHO, Gates, Industry And NGO Leaders Elevate Attention To Neglected Diseases

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 07:07:47 PST 2012

And lest we forget the price of Gates' F. generosity:

      ISIS Report 01/08/07

  Gates Philanthropy in Stem Cell Transplant for Damaged Heart

/Dr. Lilian Joensen exposes the Gates Foundation’s betrayal of public
trust in Argentina/

      <http://www.i-sis.org.uk/foodFutures.php>Innovative treatment for
      damaged heart targeted by Gates Foundation

In 2004, some patients in Argentina whose hearts were severely damaged
as the result of contracting Chagas disease (caused by a protozoan
parasite /Trypanosoma cruzi/)//were successfully treated with stem cells
isolated from the patients’ own bone marrow and transplanted into the
heart. This made headline news in Argentina and elsewhere [1] (Bone
Marrow Cells Repair Heart Damaged by Chagas' Disease
<http://www.i-sis.org.uk/chagasDisease.php>, /SiS/ 25). See also
Patient's Own Stem Cells Mend Heart <http://www.i-sis.org.uk/POSCMH.php>
[2], /SiS/ 25).

Soon afterwards, representatives from the Gates Foundation approached
Dr. Trainini, the cardiologist who pioneered the treatment. At the time,
several research teams from the public health sector had come together
to start a collaborative research programme, including those from the
National Institute of Parasitology (where I work), and public hospitals
in different parts of Argentina that normally deal with patients
suffering from Chagas disease, as well as immunologists and social
researchers, and technicians.

Chagas Disease is a disease of the poor in Latin America and the public
sector has always been responsible for its diagnosis and treatment, as
well as for education, prevention, and research.

The representatives of the Gates Foundation told Dr. Trainini that the
Foundation was interested in supporting the project. The amount
mentioned was US$2 million.

      Public effort and resources poured into the project proposal

Trainini immediately started the round of meetings and talks with all
the teams involved, which would be partners in project. The process of
planning, discussing, designing and drafting the project proposal took
several months. A lot of original thought and research findings as well
as time and other resources went into the proposal from the public
sector. For although Chagas’ disease is under-funded and the doctors,
researchers and healthcare professionals working on it are underpaid,
they are much respected because working for Chagas disease is seen to be
serving the poor and the neglected of society. Argentina is a very big
country, and people have to travel considerable distances to work
together, thereby incurring substantial extra expenses, all paid for by
the Argentine government.

Finally, a project proposal was presented to representatives of the
Gates Foundation who had approached Dr. Trainini. The project was laid
out in three parts with detailed protocols for each part. The first part
consists of the protocol for the autologous (where the donor is also the
recipient) bone marrow stem cell transplants, to be performed in the
public hospitals. The second part consists of social research work in
fighting the disease vector, alleviating poverty and the conditions that
give rise to the disease, and follow up in local communities in the
provinces. The third part describes the basic research to be carried out
in the public research institutions.

      Gates’ grant given to the private sector, with the project proposal

On receiving the proposal, the representatives of the Gates Foundation
appeared to Dr. Trainini to be very satisfied, as they had been with the
proceedings at all times, so he was quite unprepared for what came next.

*The representatives took the project proposal delivered by Dr. Trainini
and decided that they would support groups from the private sector to do
the work. In other words, they took the original ideas and protocols
carefully set out by Dr. Trainini and his collaborators in the public
sector, and unscrupulously handed them over to the private sector,
believing that the private sector could do the work more effectively. *

The question of confidentiality then came up. None of the public sector
groups involved were prepared to negotiate on that. It has been a
premise from the first with Dr. Trainini and his collaborators that all
the work would be published with no confidentiality conditions of any
kind attached. This had to be independent research for the good of the
Chagas patients, and those in the provinces that are infected
or at risk of becoming so.

Dr. Trainini was outraged, especially as during the discussion with his
collaborators, people from the provinces involved in the project had
expressed their suspicion to Dr. Trainini. These foundations, they said,
were always talking about funding projects for the poor without any real
intention of doing so. But, Dr. Trainini is a very honest and idealistic
person, somewhat naïve, and not used to such sharp practices.

In my own defence, I must say that when I heard that the Gates
Foundation was involved, I immediately told the people from the
Secretariat of Science and Technology that they should be very careful,
if they really expected these
people to have good intentions for the State and the people. I was
assured that if something “strange” came up, the whole deal would be
cancelled on our part. And fortunately, it was; but not before a lot of
time, effort and other resources had been wasted.

Now the Provinces in Argentina said that they would be watching; if any
team in the private sector ever starts to work with Chagas’ disease,
they would do everything in their power to put a stop to it and expel
the team. The Gates Foundation has become very, very unpopular in this
sector of Argentina.

I telephoned the Coordinator of Health at the Argentine Secretariat of
Science and Technology in April 2007 for an up-date, as I had been asked
to post this story to the GM-free Africa list. I asked the coordinator
if he would allow me to give his e-mail address to anyone who wanted
more detailed first-hand information about this Gates Foundation
episode, and he said that he would gladly tell the story to whoever is
interested. Please send enquiries to me at: lilianj16 at gmail.com
<mailto:lilianj16 at gmail.com>,

The moral here is: “Don’t be naïve with these people. They belong to a
certain ideological group that do not see social issues the same way we
do. They have very specific interests also when it comes to ”charity”.
The word “charity” in itself is ideologically marked and is insulting to
us, simply because it implies a great deal of colonial patronage.
Neo-liberalism is about the private sector taking over the public
sector. And the Gates Foundation is obviously involved in this
initiative, even to the extent of stealing ideas and knowledge from the
public sector and giving them to the private sector for its capability
to make money.”