[Ip-health] Regarding your petition

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Thu Jun 14 03:28:25 PDT 2012

Dear James,

Thank you for your reply. However, it is quite disappointing. The evidence supporting the notion that genetically-modified crops are "effective" is scant and largely driven by the industries in question, particularly Monsanto. Meanwhile, the risks of such organisms have not been elucidated and the evidence suggests numerous negative impacts on ecosystems, notably in the destruction of pollinators. Further, the health effects on humans are unclear and pregnant women and developing children may be adversely effected. Indeed, if these risks were not real and substantial, why would the industry fight so vigorously to maintain a policy unique to the United States that denies consumers the right to know which products are contaminated with GM organisms?

Therefore, the burden of proof of safety and efficacy has not been met. And recent evidence suggests that GMO crops are merely inducing resistance in the very organisms they are ineptly intended to fend off.

Finally, and most egregiously and most damning to the Obama administration is the vile adherence to antiquated, dangerous and ultimately anti-competitive/anti-business notions of "intellectual property" that posit profit as a more important outcome than the ecosystem, our planet, human health and well-being and life itself. This is reflected in negotiations of the TPAA, for example and on a different front, that seek to pressure nations globally to adhere to notions of "if you can afford it, you live, otherwise drop dead" when it comes to pharmaceutical drugs.

This is a form of nothing less than economic genocide.

It is a failure of this Administration and completely flies in the face of Mr. Obama's initial bright promises of Change.  To the contrary, it is quite literally business as usual. And that cheap maneuvering to acquire the capital to run campaigns is to the detriment of not only our democracy but ultimately--and rather shortly--our entire civilization.

This perverted and dishonest model of capitalism is failing horribly and is part and parcel with the forces that accelerate global heating that threatens our species, even as we face what some have called the Sixth Great Extinction Event.

So in short, while I do appreciate your taking the time to reply, I find the response completely unsatisfactory and actually depressing as it is horrifying.

Sincerely,
George M. Carter
Brooklyn, NY