[Ip-health] ACTA: European Union's statement on IP Enforcement Trends at WTO Council for TRIPS (28 February 2012)

Thirukumaran Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Fri Mar 2 03:08:19 PST 2012

The global upsurge of popular opposition to the Anti-Counterfeiting Agreement (ACTA), particularly evident across Europe in the last month, has pushed the governments of Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Latvia, and the Netherlands, Poland to reconsider their ratification of the controversial treaty. In this context, the following intervention delivered by the European Union in defense of ACTA on Tuesday, 28 February 2012 at discussions at the WTO Council for TRIPS on IP Enforcement Trends may be of interest to those  monitoring the ACTA process, particularly in the European context.

--

"Agenda item N – IP enforcement trends

In the European Union our strengths are not cheap labour or abundant supplies of oil or gas, diamonds or gold. Our strengths are inside our heads – in our creativity, our capacity to innovate and our commitment to quality.

But if businesses based on creativity are to function, they require the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights.

The most conservative estimates of the size of the global counterfeiting and piracy industry put it at 200 billion € a year. But that estimate excludes all internet piracy and any counterfeiting and piracy where the product is sold in the country where it was produced."

<SNIP>

To see the EU statement in full, please click on the following link:

http://keionline.org/node/1380

--

Thiru Balasubramaniam
Geneva Representative