[Ip-health] Academic research on how ACTA can limit pharmaceutical trade

Andreas Panagopoulos andreas.panagopoulos at gmail.com
Wed May 9 02:42:22 PDT 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

In support of the anti-ACTA campaign, we would like to share with you our
latest research on how ACTA can limit the trade of pharmaceutical products
in developing countries.

Noting the lack of economic analysis on the effects of ACTA, we sought to
employ a mathematical model that focuses on one aspect of ACTA only, i.e.
how the proposed harmonization in the way courts calculate the damages they
award in cases of infringement can be detrimental to forging technology
sharing agreements between multinational pharmaceutical firms and local
generic-drug producers.

Sincerely,

Christos N. Pitelis, University of Cambridge.

Andreas Panagopoulos, University of Crete.

--
Dr. Andreas Panagopoulos,
Assistant Professor
E-mail: panagopoulos at econ.soc.uoc.gr