[Ip-health] DNDi Policy Brief: Why an Essential Health R&D Convention Is Needed

Gabrielle Landry glandry at dndi.org
Wed May 9 03:46:38 PDT 2012

Dear all,
Following the recently released report of the Consultative Expert Working Group on Research and Development: Financing and Coordination (CEWG), which will be discussed at the upcoming World Health Assembly (agenda item 13.14), the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) has issued a policy brief: 'Transforming Individual Successes into Sustainable Change to Ensure Health Innovation for Neglected Patients: Why an Essential Health R&D Convention Is Needed'.
Based on our own experience, the brief outlines the factors that we deem essential, in the long term, for enhancing R&D to respond to the needs of neglected patients in developing countries: open innovation and pro-access IP management, sustainable financing mechanisms, coordination of R&D with commitment from endemic countries, and innovative regulatory pathways.

English: http://www.dndi.org/images/stories/advocacy/DNDi_Policy_brief_CEWG_lowres.pdf
Spanish: http://www.dndi.org/images/stories/advocacy/dndi_policy_esp_20_04_baixa.pdf
Portuguese: http://www.dndi.org/images/stories/advocacy/dndi_policy_port_27_04_2012.pdf
French: forthcoming

Best regards,
Gabrielle
Gabrielle Landry Chappuis
Head of Communication and Advocacy
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative - DNDi
15 Chemin Louis-Dunant, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
glandry at dndi.org<mailto:glandry at dndi.org> / tel. +41 22 906 9230 / mobile: +41 79 309 3910 / www.dndi.org<http://www.dndi.org/>