[Ip-health] UNITAID Press Briefing: Release of latest progress report "Five Years of Innovation for Better Health"

unitaid unitaid at who.int
Wed May 9 07:22:40 PDT 2012

MEDIA ADVISORY
PRESS BREAKFAST, 11 May, 9.30 a.m. Palais des Nations
UNITAID: Release of latest progress report "Five Years of Innovation for
Better Health"

Geneva, 9 May 2012 - In today's environment it is vital that we think of
new ways to finance international health and development, to be more
targeted and effective in our interventions, to make the money yield
better results.
Since late 2006, UNITAID has led the way on a number of innovative
initiatives that have had profound impact on millions of lives and the
way we work in global health.  Among some of the salient results: it has
succeeded in getting 400 000 children living with HIV on child-friendly
treatment; introduced better, more affordable medicines and diagnostics
into developing country markets; raised 1.3 billion through the air
ticket levy alone (about 65% of its revenue); created the Medicines
Patent Pool - a one-stop shop for patent licensing to increase access to
cheaper medicines, and more.
Join us on 11 May at 9.30 a.m. in Press Room 1, Palais des Nations for a
press breakfast to hear about our latest results and about the future
vision for innovative financing and its role in global health and
medicines access.
Speakers:
Denis Broun, Executive Director, UNITAID
Khalil Elouardighi, Head of Advocacy, Coalition Plus (NGO), former
Executive Board member, UNITAID

Contact: Daniela Bagozzi, UNITAID, Mob. +41 79 475 54 90; Email:
bagozzid at who.int