[Ip-health] Pharmalot: Malaysians Seek License For Abbott AIDS Drug

Steven Knievel sknievel at citizen.org
Mon May 21 16:51:14 PDT 2012

A bit more information on the Kaletra access situation in Malaysia:

Only select groups of people living with HIV qualify for the subsidy provided by the Malaysian government for the second-line treatment they need (mothers confirmed of being HIV positive, infants confirmed of being HIV positive, persons infected through contaminated blood infusions or blood products, healthcare personnel infected through occupational exposure, and government personnel). All others who require second-line treatment must pay out of pocket for their medicine - one such person is Nazarius Celsus Dorus, who told us:

"The doctor said that I had virological failure. The counselor came to me and we started talking. She informed me that I had to begin second-line treatment, namely, Kaletra. And what's more, I have to pay RM9501 per month! As someone who just started working to have to fork out 4/5 of my salary just to pay for medication, it was such a shock. Why is it so expensive??"

Read the rest of his statement here.

The Malaysian AIDS Foundation - the charitable arm of the Malaysian AIDS Council (MAC) - has worked with Abbott to provide fewer than 60 people who are not eligible for government-subsidized second-line treatment with medicine through their Positive Audacious Living (PAL) scheme. MAC recognizes that this is insufficient to meet the needs of people living with HIV in Malaysia who require second-line treatment.

Steven Knievel
Global Access to Medicines Program
Public Citizen | Protecting Health, Safety and Democracy
TEL: +1 202-588-7771
1600 20th St NW, Washington, DC 20009