[Ip-health] Arrangements for open-ended CEWG Member States meeting

Danny Edwards edwards at cohred.org
Mon Nov 5 06:02:37 PST 2012

Dear IP Health colleagues, and in particular any representatives of Member States attending the open-ended meeting to discuss the recommendations of the CEWG report,

I wanted to share with the list the text of a letter that we at COHRED have today sent to the proposed Chair of the group, requesting that non-Government actors be able to contribute to the discussions:

"Dear Dr Tangcharoensathien,
As agreed at the 65th World Health Assembly, this month the World Health Organization is hosting an open-ended Member State meeting to consider the recommendations contained in the report of the Consultative Expert Working Group on Research and Development: Financing and Co-ordination (CEWG).

On behalf of the (approx) 40 research institutions, networks, civil society organisations, Universities and other organisations who support COHRED call for Global Leadership on the CEWG report, we respectfully request that both yourself and the Member States instruct the WHO Secretariat to invite non-governmental organisations to participate in this meeting, based on the precedent of the Intergovernmental Working Group (IGWG) negotiations which lead to the adoption of the Global Strategy and Plan of Action on public health, innovation and intellectual property.

A range of civil society actors, research institutions, Universities and others have contributed actively over the years to this process, and we believe that the views of these constituencies will continue provide to provide valuable input as the discussions progress amongst Member States.

Thank you for your attention to this matter."

Best wishes,

Danny