[Ip-health] LDCs collectively request an indefinite extension of their TRIPS-compliance transition periods

Bryan MERCURIO (Faculty of Law) b.mercurio at cuhk.edu.hk
Mon Nov 12 17:19:41 PST 2012

I thank Prof. Baker for reading – and more importantly commented on – my paper. It is appreciated. His post makes it apparent to me that we need to refine the introduction so as to make the aims and conditions under which we are writing this piece more clearly stated. We start with the premise of attempting to find a workable, feasible and acceptable position to all parties. Quite simply, it is unrealistic to think that certain developed country members are going to accept indefinite deferral of TRIPS obligations. Second, and addressing Prof Baker’s concern, we also accept for the purposes of the paper the thinking of the WTO that IPRs and development to some degree go hand in hand.

My main point of contention with Prof Baker is his statements that “Art. 66.1 represents a shared understanding that IPRs and their enforcement can stand in the way of LDC's industrial and human development” and “Art. 66.1 represents a shared understanding that IPRs and their enforcement can stand in the way of LDC's industrial and human development”.

In fact, I do not think it is “clear” at all what Art 66 represents. If Prof Baker’s view is correct, then why did the drafters provide a 10 year time period for a transition to TRIPS? Prof Baker’s position seems to be that there was a recognition that LDCs should not have any obligation to protect IPRs. While the Uruguay Round negotiators can in many ways be accused of being naive, they certainly weren’t silly enough to believe that each and every LDC would graduate to developing country status within a 10 year period. Moreover, if Prof Baker’s position reflects the reality then why did the negotiators not simply Art 66 and simply provide that LDCs will not have any TRIPS obligations? Full stop/period. I cannot see how one can read “for a period of ten years” as stated in Art 66.1 as meaning a shared understanding that IPRs stymie development (and moreover that this is not a promise to eventually comply). What seems clear is that it says ten years! While some want to believe there was a shared understanding regarding LDC obligations, I do not believe this to be the case. I believe that everyone simply realised that LDCs were not in a position to protect IPRs and obligating them to do so would merely result in mass non-compliance.

Going back to the focus of the paper, since the WTO and many of its Member States espouse the view that IPRs are development-friendly we have attempted to work within the existing perimeters to develop a model for a future agreement. In so doing, we have tied the often-neglected developed country obligation to provide technical cooperation to the extension so as to not only burden LDCs with obligations. This may or may not be the best way forward, and as negotiations continue an indefinite extension may indeed be seen as a feasible alternative. I am therefore equally as happy for proponents of an indefinite extension to use our paper to further their position. Where we all agree is that the mid-2013 deadline cannot be reached without some form of further extension.

Thank you again for your comments, which will indeed help improve the quality of the paper.

Bryan Mercurio
Professor of Law and Associate Dean (Research)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Shatin, NT HONG KONG
Tel: +852 3943 1139
Faculty webpage: http://www.law.cuhk.edu.hk/people/mercurio-bryan.php