[Ip-health] Fwd: [tpp-allies] Bloomberg News: Thailand Plans to Join Pacific Trade Talks When Obama Visits

Kannikar Kijtiwatchakul kakablueblue at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 20:10:52 PST 2012

Yes, sadly but true

Thailand to join TPP talks
Critics call pact a tactic by US to counter China

Bangkok Post

Published: 13/11/2012 at 12:00 AMNewspaper section: News
Thailand has agreed to join negotiations in a United States-led free trade
agreement (FTA) in a move which will be formally announced during President
Barack Obama's visit here on Sunday.

US officials from the White House visit the roof of Government House to
inspect it prior to US President Barack Obama’s visit to Bangkok on Sunday.
APICHART JINAKUL

Thailand's entry into the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) will be a
highlight of the visit by the US president amid concern by activists over
the consequences of the far-reaching free trade pact.

The TPP is a proposed regional FTA being negotiated by the US and several
Asia-Pacific nations, including Australia, Canada, Vietnam, Mexico and six
other countries.

The agreement is aimed at liberalising trade in nearly all goods and
services and includes commitments beyond those currently established in the
World Trade Organisation.

The cabinet yesterday agreed to the proposal tabled by the Commerce
Ministry to have Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announce the pact in a
joint press statement with Mr Obama, the government said on its website.

The agreement would lead to fewer tariffs on Thai exports to the US and
would eliminate Thailand's reliance on the America's Generalised System of
Preferences.

The decision was attacked by FTA Watch, a non-governmental organisation
which has monitored the free trade deal.

The prime minister should be considering this deal thoroughly instead of
thinking only about having something to announce with the US leader, FTA
Watch said.

The TPP negotiations were revitalised by the US in 2010. The talks will be
concluded next year.

With the exclusion of China, the move is seen by some as an attempt to
counter the rising economic clout of Beijing and to assert more American
influence on Asia.

Washington has boasted the TPP will further liberalise trade among its
members.

But Jacquechai Chomthongdi, a FTA Watch coordinator, warned of its negative
impacts on Thailand if the country joins the negotiations.

Thailand will struggle to gain access to affordable medicines under the
pact as it gives drug manufacturers longer patent protection compared to
international standards, he said.

The US is pushing for more liberalisation of the service and investment
sectors through the pact, he added.

The agreement is part of a US tactic to create a trade bloc with other
Asian countries to put pressure on China to play by America's rules, he
said.

Mr Obama's visit marks 180 years of diplomatic relations between the two
countries.

Fresh from his presidential election victory, Mr Obama will visit Thailand
and Myanmar on his way to the East Asia Summit in Phnom Penh.

Thai sources said the US has requested Thai security officers reinforce
snipers for security during the visit.

Snipers from the Thai police special force Arintarat have been asked to
help with security, the sources said.

The US also requested that Phitsanulok Road, next to Government House, be
closed during Sunday's meeting, the sources said.

American officials also asked Thai officers to monitor the high buildings
of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Co-operatives headquarters,
Office of the Civil Service Commission and Phranakhon Rajabhat University,
which are near the area.

Security preparations for Mr Obama's visit come under the responsibility of
Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, government spokesman Thossaporn
Sereerak said.

The Secretariat of the Prime Minister yesterday allowed about 30 US
officials from the White House, the US embassy and the president's security
team to survey Government House.

They inspected and photographed the buildings to be used in the reception
and presidential meeting.