[Ip-health] Big Pharma Incentives Are Out of Whack: Why We Need an X-Prize for Drugs | Wired Opinion | Wired.com

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu Oct 11 10:20:41 PDT 2012

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2012/10/prescription-drug-crisis/

Steven Johnson, Big Pharma Incentives Are Out of Whack: Why We Need an
X-Prize for Drugs, Wired. October 11, 2012

"Sanders is the most left-wing member of the Senate, but it’s essential to
note that his approach breaks from the mirrored alternatives of Big
Capitalism and Big Government. The state isn’t trying to come up with
breakthrough drugs or even to make direct decisions on which firms to back.
Instead, the bills try to use government dollars—and publicity—to widen the
network involved in solving these crucial problems and to make it easier to
share the solutions that emerge. In our current system, government patents
allow marketplace victors to profit for years at others’ expense. A
prize-based system would allow everyone to win."