[Ip-health] Fwd: Participate, Access to Meds & Global Congress on IP & The Public Interest

Matthew Kavanagh matthew at healthgap.org
Tue Aug 27 11:47:51 PDT 2013

*F**rom:* Lotti Rutter [mailto:lotti.rutter at mail.tac.org.za] *
*

*Subject:* Participate, Access to Meds & Global Congress on IP & The Public
Interest

Dear Friends,

We hope you’ll consider joining us in Cape Town in December for the Access
to Medicines track of the Global Congress on IP & Public Interest. Below is
a call to action that we would appreciate you sharing with your networks.

There is some funding available for travel, though it is very limited so we
are hoping many people can self-finance or that organisations with some
resources can help other colleagues to attend. Because this follows
directly after ICASA, hopefully many of you may already be in Cape
Town. Those in need of funding should apply as soon as possible.

We would also really appreciate ideas for workshops or goals for joint
sessions.

Thanks!

Lotti Rutter/TAC, Moses Mulumba/ CEHURD & UCT*, *Julia Hill & Felipe
Carvalho/MSF, Umunyana Rugege/Section 27 & Matthew Kavanagh/Health GAP

*---------please forward-------*

* *

*Call to Participate in the Access to Medicines track of the*

*Global Congress on Intellectual Property & The Public Interest*

December 11, 12th & 13th in Cape Town, South Africa

* *

*in Conjunction with the December 9th & 10th  Open A.I.R. Conference*

* *

*Coming to Cape Town for ICASA?  Stay for the Access to Medicines track of
the Global Congress!*

*Track Coordinating Committee:* Treatment Action Campaign,   Médecins Sans
Frontières,  Health GAP, Centre for Health, Human Rights and Development,
Section 27,  University of Cape Town

Register today:

*http://www.openair.org.za/capetown2013** *

* *

*Deadline:* Immediate deadline for no-registration fee or to request
funding is *August 31st,* *but we are trying to extend this* for a few
weeks for the A2M track. If you need funding register ASAP!

Now in its third year, the Global Congress on IP & the Public Interest
brings together researchers, activists, and academics to share knowledge,
build strategies, and create opportunities to shift the IP system to better
function with the public interest in mind. This year, the Access to
Medicines track of the Congress will focus on key issues including:

·      patent law reform efforts throughout the world—content, strategies,
and ideas for pro-health regimes to fully implement TRIPS flexibilities;

·      assessing pro-access innovation efforts to better ensure R&D
addresses health needs;

·      opportunities at the international legal sphere (WTO, WIPO, regional
bodies, etc.) for pro-access change;

·      threats to access to medicines in the form of trade agreement
negotiations, and domestic or international pressure to introduce
anti-access reforms in key medicine-producing countries.

With the Congress convening in Africa for the first time, the event will
also be an important opportunity to examine access to medicines issues
directly affecting the continent, and how they relate to the challenges
faced in other countries, regions, and on a global level.

*Schedule:* *Monday & Tuesday is the Open A.I.R. Conference, which will
focus on innovation and IP in Africa, though not specifically on access to
medicines.  All participants are encouraged to join. *Then, the Access to
Medicines track of the Global Congress will include:

·      *Weds:* Bridge day between Open A.I.R. and Global Congress,
featuring creative talks on IP, innovation, access to knowledge and
medicine, global development and more…

·      *Thurs:* Access to medicines workshops, seminars, and planning
sessions, focusing on abovementioned topics.

·      *Fri:* More on access to medicines, plus sessions on cross-cutting
IP and public interest issues.

--

*Lotti Rutter*

Senior Researcher