[Ip-health] MSF response to Global Fund Replenishment

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 02:46:31 PST 2013

MSF response to Global Fund Replenishment

http://msfaccess.org/content/msf-responds-global-fund-replenishment-conference

*Médecins Sans Frontières/ Doctors Without Borders (MSF) response to the
final amount of funding pledged at the replenishment meeting of the Global
Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria, which concluded in Washington, DC on
Tuesday (3 December). At the meeting, the Global Fund announced it had
received pledges totaling $12 billion for the next three years, falling
short of its minimum target of $15 billion. *

"Despite welcomed increases in funding from a few donors, the global effort
to fight HIV, TB, and malaria took a big hit today.  The replenishment of
the Global Fund — the largest donor of such programs—fell short of the
minimum funding target to scale up lifesaving programs. People living with
HIV and TB can't afford for donor countries to sit on their hands and let
the opportunity to curb new HIV infections and TB cases slip by, especially
when the U.S. has promised to match other donors’ contributions (by $1 for
every $2 pledged, up to $5 billion). Every day, we need to see more people
put on treatment for HIV and TB than the day before, and flat funding or
only meagre increases, like what we’re seeing from Germany, the European
Commission and the Netherlands, won’t get us there.

We see in our medical projects every day how effective treatment can save
lives and we know that treatment also curbs transmission of both HIV and
TB. Now is not the time for donors to take their foot off the gas
pedal—both donor countries and those affected by the epidemics need to
speed up the scale-up of life-saving treatment.
For its part, the Global Fund should make sure as many people are reached
with treatment services as soon as possible, by committing to buying
quality medicines at the lowest possible price.”

*Sharonann Lynch, HIV and TB Policy Advisor, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Access Campaign*